Friday, November 18, 2011

{ Beauty } Hangnail Hijinx

One detail that might not be on your mind as you get ready for your big day is your cuticles. If you are anything like me, you have hangnails and overgrown cuticles no matter what season or how well you maintain your nail beds.

I have seen so many pretty up close images of hands in wedding photos (ring photos, romantic hang holding photos...) that I really started to think to myself "but... I have boy hands!"

This is where my little secret comes in. My nail beds split, the skin along my nails frays, and my cuticles crack all the time. Nothing ever seemed to help keep them inline. Not a twice-daily lotion ritual, not cuticle cream, not straight up vitamin E oil... Until this.

Honestly, I think it is hilarious that I never thought of this before. What to know my secret weapon?

Image Source / Seventeen Online
Yeah. That's right. Plain ol' vitamin E enriched lip balm. Want to improve your nail beds? Smooth a bit of this into your nail bed and into your cuticles and skin around your nails. I do it twice a day to speed up results, but once before bed is plenty. The best part is that if you don't have time to wait for your nails to heal, smoothing a little of this on will hide any dry skin right away!

Why would you want to pay up to $15 or more to buy a cuticle cream or a nail bed lotion... when a $2 tube of lip balm will do the trick just as well? Just be sure to get one with vitamin E in it and have a go! Your nails will be picture perfect in no time!

Do you have a simple beauty secret weapon?

2 comments:

Chrissy said...

This is one of those discoveries I'm SOOO curious to hear the back story on. How did you figure this out? Haha :)

Katie said...

Oooh you know :P Carl uses chapstick for everything. The internet + curiosity and... ta da! Hangnail cure! Now if only I could keep it up...